Thursday, January 17, 2013

Procion MX Dyeing


When it's been cool enough to work in my studio, I've been doing some dyeing. I enrolled in Jane Dunnewold's Craftsy course (and some other classes) when they were $9.99 over the Christmas period. I would recommend her course - it's very comprehensive and although I was familiar with most of the information, I was intrigued with the texture dyeing, where textured items are rolled up or clamped with the fabric before dyeing. The above piece was printed then overdyed - you can see the texture from bubble wrap on the right side of the pic. Normally I dye first, then add print as I find that is easier but overdyeing definitely improved this.

Below: 2 pieces textured with bubble wrap - these were clamped between squares of perspex.


This fabric was pleated then rolled, with elastic bands inside the roll.

 
 4 fat 1/4s scrunched and layered in a jar with 4 different colours of dye.
 
 

5 comments:

Fran├žoise said...

Oh! Beautiful!

Judy Ferguson said...

I have done a lot of monoprinting, fabric painting and overdyeing also. I like having these interesting fabrics in my stash for collage projects. I have to say that Procion dyes are my favorite. Yours are really beautiful.

Sandy said...

Wonderful lpieces. I especially like the top one. I've been pleased with the Craftsy classes too.

Dorothy said...

Delighful pieces. Love the textured look.

artroomer said...

Procion dyes are so pure and true to hue. These are gorgeous. How does one keep the colours strong if hung in sunlight? Some of mine have faded a little in the Australian Riverina heat. Also I have found the usual problem with bleeding from silk...any less than the obvious tips please?