Saturday, February 25, 2012

New work

I've got to get 4 12" x 12" quilts finished very soon for the Aust/NZ Art Quilt Yahoo group. The theme is other countries - this one is New Zealand, inspired by it's greenness and lush ferns. I've finished Japan, Brazil and well on the way to getting Morocco done. The group is having an exhibit at the Melbourne Quilt and Craft fair.

While I'm happy with this, I think it may need something extra - its a bit the same all over - what do you think?
The yellow cotton fabric has leaf and gelatine prints the green/blue border fabric is sunprinted on silk.

Work in progress: Monoprinted with thickened Procion Dyes. I intend to give this a little more complexity with some more layers but sticking to the squares design.

This is better than it looks in the pic, it was a fat quarter of commercial novelty quilt fabric. It had little fluorescent orange bugs with green shoes and white googly eyes - one under each spot. No, I didn't choose it - it was in a bundle I bought.
I knew I'd never use it, so I altered it by stencilling the spots and then using some plastic lace to print the background with metallic copper textile paint.

Don't forget my give-away if you haven't already entered - details in the previous post.
Finally, a warm welcome to my new followers.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Catching up & a new blog started

My blog has been a little neglected recently. There have been a few things happening - first, I've finally started the blog for Designing Women (a textile group I'm a member of). Its early days but I hope it will have regular posts, member profiles, lots of pics and information to share. It is a big year for us because our next exhibition will be this November, so there should be lots of activity leading up to that. Visitors and comments are very welcome - click on the link.
The small quilt (55 x 38cms) above was finished Saturday. The pattern was from Workshop on the Web quite a while ago. I thought it would be good to do to learn some new techniques and use up some of my hand dyed scraps - I was pleased with how it turned out - slightly different to the pattern. I've also started a patchwork cot quilt which will be a gift for someone.


Give Away: It's still happening but I've decided to postpone the draw 2 weeks until Monday 5th March because there have not been many comments yet - please feel free to spread the word - if you post a link and let me know, I'll give you another entry. The winner will receive a small thermofax screen, a collage pack of some of my fabric peices - colour co-ordinated and more than enough for a book cover or small collage and a surprise pack.
My DD brought me these gorgeous roses as a surprise because she said she knew DH wouldn't remember Valentine's Day. She was right but he did spend most of the day making shelves for a wardrobe in a spare bedroom so I could keep my collection of quilt fabrics in order.
I've now sorted them into colours got them nicely organised - just need to get my sewing room done now!


This is my new computer and desk in the dining room. We had a big table there but it belongs to my other DD who is now renting in Perth so she took it back. We didn't use the area much as a dining room so we bought a smaller table which I use as a cutting table and the desk.
I wanted to keep my old computer because of my sewing machine software and also my machine uses floppy disks. I don't use the digitised sewing designs very often but may as well keep it going as long as possible. I bought a new printer too but it's gone back back to get fixed.
We've had a few issues with technology lately.
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Feb BOM, more quilting & a Giveaway

Above: using scraps - I had a lot of pieced trimmings from another project so put them together in a log cabin design. This will grow as I haven't finished the cutting yet. It might make a background for something.

Below: my Feb blocks. Doing these has made me sure I'll never be a traditional quilter! (I was sure before actually) The left one wasn't too bad but the right one turned out 1/4 inch too small. I'm not going to do it again at this stage, maybe when it comes time to put them all together, I might get enthusiastic and redo it. The dark pink central shapes are not as dark as the pic shows.

My entry for Beneath the Southern Sky 'The Garden in a Dry Climate' was not accepted so I can post the pics. I was worried my photo may not have been good enough but apparently it was acceptable and met the requirements. They felt my quilt didn't fit with the others, which I understand. I printed the fabric using a photographic screen - its a repeat print which I've cut a section from. I added 3 appliques and free machine quilted it. It has wadding and a backing.


Detail below:


It seems I now have 200 followers - thanks all! So I'll have a giveaway - stay tuned for details. I'll keep it open until Feb 23rd and everyone who leaves a comment will be entered.
Posted by Picasa