Monday, December 03, 2012

In the studio & in print


I'm teaching a workshop in heat transfer dyeing this week so I needed to check my mixed up dyes were still OK. They last a long time - several years if kept in a dark place, but I still need to make sure, so I painted lots of papers and cut them up before transferring on to fabric with my heat press - result on polyester satin above. This is a long piece, about 30 x 150cms.


A few printed/stencilled cotton fabric pieces - dye and paint.

This week I received the latest issue of the online colour journal 'Ask the Color Queens' It features 5 different textile artists who have answered a series of questions about how they use colour in their work with examples, photos and colour pallettes. I'm 1 of the artist featured which was a great honour as Beverley Gilbert and Margie Dieb do a wonderful job with this and the other artists are fantastic. There is a small charge for this issue but there are also free past issues available. Click on the link to find out more.

 

3 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Sometimes the techniques of printing your own fabric becomes overwhelming. I have done some of them, but do not really understand the process of how to transfer painted papers to fabric.

Sandy said...

The dyes are certainly still good-love the colors. Congratulations on being in the publication.

Fran├žoise said...

Wow, the colours are so good.
Congrats on the publication!