Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rusty things

Today we were at my Uncle's home doing the final few things before it goes on the market. I took some photos as this is where my father grew up too and I have happy childhood memories of visiting there and exploring the garden which was beautiful then. The house was built about 100 years ago by my grandfather. My grandmother came out from England soon after - I imagine it was a bit of a shock to her.
My Uncle always tells everyone he was born on the kitchen floor - not sure if that is true but my father, the younger brother was born in hospital. I remember there was no electricity for a long time. They had a kerosene fridge and had to light a fire for cooking and hot water. The photos I've posted here are all of the shed and it's gorgeous rusty pressed tin walls.








Below: inside the shed. My uncle was a keen gardener when he was younger, I remember beds of all kinds of jonquils and daffodils, also gladiolas and roses. He used to try to develop new varieties and of fruit too. This was his garden shed - outside is the orchard with lots of old fruit trees. My uncle lived here all his life, except during his war service. He never married. Its a pity he had to leave but he has settled in quite well and seems happy with having more company now.

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my last post - much appreciated.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anne B said...

That's not a shed - it's a temple at least. Gorgeous. It's humbling when everyday things are decorated so beautifully.

Sue Dennis said...

I'd be taking those tiles home Linda. They may not be appreciated by the new owner.

Penny said...

I too would be taking the pressed tin home,I have been trying to find some for ages, great for rubbings.

Dorothy said...

A lot of memories there for you, so great you were able to photograph these special things like the pressed tin and so. Admire the fabrics pictured in your last post.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Lovely photos...and your grandmother must have been a strong woman! I can sympathize about the accumulated junk--I battle it all the time! Have even written posts about it. Enjoyed your blog, especially your fabrics and journal covers--beautiful.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Linda said...

What lovely old buildings. I love those pressed tin pieces. I remember my grandparents living in a house with the pressed tin ceilings. Can't wait to see your rustings. Always enjoy your posts Linda.