Thursday, September 01, 2011

Printing

This silk scarf is screen printed with thickened procion dyes using a crocheted doiley for the deconstructed printing process. Then I made a thermofax screen from a scan of the same doiley and printed with de Colourant to discharge (the lighter lace images) I was very happy with how it turned out - it was started on the spur of the moment to use some mixed up dyes I had left. Sometimes things that don't have a huge amount of working out beforehand turn out the best!

















Below: the shapes were drawn with chalky pastels direct onto the fabric, then clear extender print paste was scraped over to seal. this makes it permanent after heat setting. I have washed it - if you miss any parts with the extender, it washes straight out. Afterwards I quilted it. This technique is simple but I love the hand drawn quality of it. I think I'll make a bag with this piece.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sandy said...

That will make a great bag.

Annette said...

Love the silk piece, doilies are wonderful printing tools.. well done

Dorothy said...

Nice Work, Linda

Emma said...

Fabulous photos of your lovely work. I've just been catching up with your other posts, too. What a shame about your well earned trip but I hope your DH is on the mend. So glad the show went well, I wish I could touch most of those pieces! V inspiring, they make me want to run to my squares books & make some into a larger than usual hanging. Don't thik I'll quite manage before my show - only 9 days left! Perhaps I'll work on some during the show?....

Anne B said...

What a stunning piece. I haven't tried DeColorant yet. Lovely, lovely.

Heloise said...

Stunning orange scarf! Interesting to read about the pastels and sealing it with the clear extender. I think I will try that out.