Monday, January 24, 2011

Journal Quilts

My latest journal quilt is made from a half made, quilted bag which I decided would be better cut up and made into something else. I've butted up the pieces, stiched them together, then applied a backing. The edges were turned over to the front and stitched. The original bag fabric was dye painted after it was quilted. After putting it together, I painted the quilt with pastel blue deColourant and ironed it to discharge some of the colour and bring out the texture.

Below: front and back of another journal quilt made of leftovers from a larger quilt. Its a log cabin design but not pieced, just raw edged fabric strips bonded to thin iron on wadding and stitched through all 3 layers.

Still on the topic of quilts: Jan makes Oz Comfort Quilts for people who've lost their homes in natural disasters. She started this after the devastating Victorian bushfires a couple of years ago and is now helping flood victims from the current disaster. She is asking for people to send QAYG blocks to her which she puts together and then organises their distribution to the recipients. She has all the instructions for the blocks and other details on her blog and they are quite simple and fun to do even for me! I sent off 12 last week and have posted a pic on the Southern Hills ASG group sewing blog.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Judy said...

Yummy!

Sandy said...

Nice pieces.

Doreen G said...

I sent my 12 blocks off to Jan last week and she sewed them up in one hour and the quilt looked great.
I liked the blocks that you made for her as well.

Judys Fiber Art said...

I have become more interested in journal quilts lately and yours are beautiful. Your colors are outstanding.

VivJM said...

I love both your journal quilts, they are beautiful. Isn't it great that the blue one looks as good on the back as the front?!

Fran├žoise said...

Love these quilts. Especially the first one. Great texture.

Gilli said...

Love it !