Friday, February 27, 2009

Art Cloth Challenge

This is the fabric I did for Jane Dunnewold's Art Cloth Challenge held early last year. (detail pics below) I can now show it because Jane has created an Art Cloth Challenge blog where all 12 pieces are documented with each person's story of their process.
She sent 12 people 2 yards of the same blue dyed silk. We were given the task of transforming it into our own Complex Cloth by using whatever processes we chose. I wanted to discharge some areas of the blue but my discharge paste didn't work so I had to work with the blue and overdye/print. For a full description of what I did as well as all the others, click the link.
Now that I'm revisiting it, I'm not really happy with the way it works as a whole, but it was a great learning experience.



Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Postcard & Round Robin Fabric

A quick post before we go out to lunch with friends.
Above: Did this last week & gave it to my niece with her house warming gift. The background is leftover bits from my heart quilt. (previous post)
Below: My layer on Susan's fabric - Procion dye: equal parts scarlet, blue MXG & golden yellow. I decided to go with the design already on the fabric (shown in the previous post) & clamped a similar area, then applied some elastic bands over the previously clamped area to get more variation in colour. It will be interesting to see what happens to it as it goes to each person.

Posted by Picasa

Monday, February 16, 2009

This week...

This is the fabric I received in the post for the round robin. Susan Purney Mark from Canada has clamp dyed it. I'm now deciding what I'll do for the 2nd layer. I've dyed a few sample pieces in a similar colour so I can do a little experimenting before I jump in.

Above & below: 2 more A4 quilts. I'm not sure if the top one is finished - would appreciate some feedback if anyone has suggestions.
It's made up of dyed scrap pieces from previous work.
The heart one is my journal quilt for February. The theme is Love or All That Glitters. I've combined the 2 in this! It includes foil, couched metallic yarn, polyester & irise film, metallic lace, a chocolate wrapper, angelina fibre, gold textile paint, metallic threads, etc.
I've included a little heart that was a gift from Joan. I went to a Designing Women meeting and because it was Valentine's Day they had a heart swap. Joan had made some extras for visitors so I was lucky. I'm going to rejoin DW. I was a member, I think, about 5 years ago but had to leave because I got a Saturday morning job.
The quilt background is strips of dyed rayon fabric, bonded to felt, with a layer of black sequin netting stitched over the top. Quite enjoyed doing these.

Posted by Picasa

Monday, February 09, 2009

Australian Bushfires

Horrible news is coming from the south east of Australia, mostly Victoria. Many people have died in the worst bushfires they've ever had. 131 when I last heard and at least 700 homes destroyed.
My heart goes out to those affected. Although on the other side of the country, it hits close to home because we live in an outer metro bush area too and I'm always a bit on edge at this time of year.
We're expecting very hot weather later this week.
I can't imagine what it would be like to lose everything in that way. Makes everything else seem trivial.

A4 Quilts

I've been doing some quilting, similar technique to the blue blocks in my last post. Above: My first finished A4 quilt. This one is made from left over fabric scraps from my quilting sample pieces and was dip dyed after stitching using Napthols rather than hand painted with Procion dyes like the previous ones. I've then used Shiva oil sticks and Setacolour metallic fabric paints to apply some more colour and bring out the texture of the quilting.
I'm going to send this to England for the Little Gems Tombola.

Above: Desert Sun Journal Quilt - more leftover scraps, this time hand painted with Procions after stitching onto a backing (shown below). I've then added a backing fabric, more stitching, some tyvek and celephane heated with an iron and the sun applique. I did the sun ages ago by free machining it on sheer fabric then using that to make a photographic stencil. I still have a few prints of it left. It's been hand painted with dye after printing.
I've joined a Yahoo group for Australian and NZ quilters which does Journal quilts, this is for January's topic: Heat.
I know I said I wouldn't do any more challenges but this fits in with my aim of doing some quilts this year and it's OK if I don't do one every month.

Below: a detail of another piece done the same way as the top quilt. A further exercise from my new book Stitching to Dye in Quilt Art by C June Barnes. This one will become a bag. You can see the sun image again in the centre of the bag front.

Posted by Picasa