Saturday, December 12, 2009

Designing Women's Christmas Lunch


We had a lovely lunch at Jan's house in Swanbourne today. It's an old heritage listed wooden house on quite a large block of land with a lovely garden. Unfortunately she recently had a fire upstairs and was very lucky not to lose the whole house. Despite that, she decided to go ahead with hosting the lunch and a good time was had by all. I didn't take my camera so no pics of that but we always have a swap of a hand made Christmas decoration - the one I made is shown above - front & back. (Joan has some pics on her blog)

I've been asked how it was made:

I already had the machine embroidered, digitized lace motif & thought it wasn't very exciting so I cut out a larger shape from some hand printed gold fabric and some gold organza. They were bonded together with sinamay in between to stiffen. Then one side was covered with bonded angelina fibres & some leftover gold machine embroidery and free machine stitched over with gold thread. Cords made by zig-zagging over yarns were used for the edging and hanger. The lace motif was stitched on by machine and the heart shape applique was hand stitched onto the other side. I added some beads to the lace motif and used the trailing cord to tie on the bead at the base which was then painted with gold glitter varnish.

That's probably as clear as mud but hope it gives some idea of the process - it actually didn't take long to do - the hand stitching & beads took the longest time.Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

cinzia said...

It looks very interesting but how did you make it... is it thread drawing. Looks like a lot of work.

aubirdwoman said...

agree with Cinzia is looks a lot of work but very effective.

cinzia said...

The more I see of what people can do with machine embroidery the more impressed I am with it.
Seems so quick and easy but I know that it isn't as easy as it seems.

Sandy said...

Lucky Joan.