Saturday, October 03, 2009

More printing

This afternoon I continued with my printing - did some more on the piece from the previous post (bottom) and the 2 top ones. I decided I needed to make a 'lines' printing block to add another layer to my fabric quickly. The vilene stencil worked well but was very hard to see through, making placement difficult. So I ended up with printed areas in block shapes.
To blend these areas together I used the same cardboard edge I used to make the stencil to print some darker lines but it was slow going and not very effective. The block (made by cutting strips of peel & stick fun foam and attaching it to foam core board) was much better. The design shows up well on the piece below.

The 2 top pieces are done using the lines block and over printing in different colours. This is a great way of making a print block - it's very quick, light, water-proof and lasts well.


Above: this was done a while ago - it's about 50cms square - was started with procion dyes, then some discharge and fabric paint. I've had it on my wall because I think it needs something but haven't decided what yet.

Also on my wall is the last fabric Round Robin piece. I think I've finally decided what to do with it and will get onto it tomorrow.

Above: this is a section of the same piece from the last post with more printing - it's almost there, but I think I'll introduce a horizontal element a third of the way from the top and then maybe some small dark squares scattered over. It reminds me of old weathered wood with cracks and peeling paint.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Pat said...

haven't yet. enrolled in holey moley. but i am. i will. and you are my inspiration....

Sandy said...

Isn't it amazing how effective lines can be? Nice prints.

Judy Alexander said...

These are great. Can't wait to see what you do with these.