Sunday, April 05, 2009

Batched and washed out

This is my layer on Donna's fabric from the Complex Cloth group round robin (detail below). I haven't managed to get the colours quite right in the photo but you can see what I've done. Susan screenprinted the smaller square design on with fabric paint, so I decided to keep with her theme and took the centre part of her design, enlarged it and cut a stencil on drafting film.
I used the stencil over a photographic screen I had made from a photo of lawn and screenprinted with 3 different Procion blues thickened with manutex. It now goes back to the USA for Judi's layer 4.

One thing I've learned from the last couple of days of printing is that PFD fabrics do make a difference. The above fabric printed beautifully with out much colour loss after washing, unlike some of the other fabrics I did. Some unbleached calicos seem to be the worst.
I also printed some silk organza with some dye I'd had in the fridge for a few months, not expecting much, but it turned out great.

Below: the same stencil printed over & over on calico. I did get some loss of colour but I still like the result - totally different than above.
I'll add another layer to this, probably with textile paint.

Below: Lino block print, again on calico, with disappointing colour loss but I think with another layer of print it will be OK.
I have a few more to come for the next post. I love printing fabric!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sandy said...

It shows that you love printing fabric; you get nice results.

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Love the chartreuse and teal with that splash of warm gold - it echoes the lichen color from your last post!

Judy said...

I saw your post on the Complex Cloth list, so hoped you'd have more on your blog.......and I'm delighted that you do! I love what you are doing with your printing! It's addictive, isn't it? I could print all day long and never get tired of it. I like your idea of cutting the stencil with drafting paper, and may have to try it.
All of your pieces are beautiful!

xo

Judy Alexander said...

Great results and love the colors! I have just started playing with creating complex cloth in the last couple of months and hope I can get some great pieces like this.

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful fabric!
I like the last piece too. Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with it next.