Friday, July 25, 2008

July TIF

I've actually finished my July Take it Further Challenge on time! Mind you, still haven't finished May or June but they are in progress. I've bonded the fabrics onto a background so now they just need stitching.
This month I did a postcard because I did not want to use these colours for bag fabric. I quite like how it turned out but I'm glad I didn't do a larger piece.

This weekend should be interesting as I'm doing a workshop with Jean Draper at the Embroiderers' Guild called Stitch & Structure. Will let you know how it goes.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, July 21, 2008

Into the studio

This week I've managed to get into the studio to do some acid milling dyeing. These dyes are mostly used for protein fibres (wool & silk) but they are also brilliant on nylons. I had a roll of bright yellow & gold lace that I got very cheap and a friend gave me some white nylon organza so I dyed some of that (top photo) as well as some silk and wool. The colours are rather Bollywood but they'll be great for layering.
Below: a hank of wool yarn that dyed very nicely.

Below: these ribbons were white nylon velvet and the lace was from an old petticoat I was given.

Below: Nylon organza, left over pieces. I like the way the pleats stayed in - I'll probubly use them as they are.

Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Free machine embroidery

The first 3 pix are the rest of my It's About Time exhibition pieces. I ended up selling all but 2 which was pretty good. The one above uses one of my silkscreened fabrics with a dried wood design. It's been extensively manipulated with free stitching, appliqued areas, slashing, pleating, scrunching and has a few heat gun beads added. You can click on the photos for a closer view.

Below: painted Tyvek which has been pleated, cut up, stitched back together then heat gunned before applying to a dyed cotton fabric also pleated, cut up and stitched back together. It's been heavily stitched to integrate the layers. This technique comes from one of my favourite books: Surfaces for Stitch by Gwen Hedley.

Above: the background is painted canvas, the long bead is carved bone and the diamond panel is made with a variety of paint, medium and stitch techniques including some hand stitching.

The above sample is a stitch sandwich. it has organza underneath with some scrunched scrim type fabrics, threads, metallic flakes, etc., layered over then a chiffon scarf over that. It was bonded together then stitched and heat gunned. This will be for my Module 3 of Playways, although I've adapted it somewhat.

Nearly forgot, on Friday I went to the Contemporary quilt group's meeting which, this month, was at the Mundaring Art Centre, so we could view Stitched and Bound and listen to some of the artists talk about their quilts. This juried exhibition is held every 2 years and is always well worth seeing. Afterwards we had a pleasant lunch at a local cafe, the Lavender Patch.

Quite a busy week for us as daughter No 1 is off again, this time to Japan where she'll be teaching English. Today we've been helping her move out of her flat in the pouring rain. All her stuff is now residing with us. We will miss her but hope to do a trip to Japan to visit soon.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, July 07, 2008

New post at last

It's been a while, but here is some of my recent work. Above: a using up scraps piece where I've bonded assorted odd shaped fabric bits onto black iron on vilene & used rows of auto machine stitches with various threads including metallics, to decorate it. Over that: some couched yarns & strips of organza.

I've also started Module 3 of Playways (an online course run by Dale Rollerson of the Thread Studio) The 2 samples below are part of it.
It's similar to the above piece & other work I've done, so I'll have to make sure I extend myself a bit. I do like to have something to work through and there are a few things that will be a challenge. The samples, when all completed, are a great resource too. I've resolved to be more organised this time by working in the right order & making notes as I go. The last module took me so long that by the time I'd finished I'd forgotten how I did some of them and where I'd put them. Some, I'm sure, were used in other work.


Above: fabric sample squares bonded to a background fabric then pieces of sheer fabric layered on top. the stitching is auto machine patterns again but with the feed dogs down as in free stitching which gives a totally different effect.

Below: this isn't part of Mod 3, it will be a bag front and is made from scraps of metallic fabrics and some cheese cloth type fabric painted with metallic textile paint. It's all done in free straight stitch with metallic threads. I've got to do some more bags for a gallery, they've sold all the last lot.

2 weeks ago I had to have a skin cancer cut off my nose which needed a skin graft applied (skin taken from behind my ear). I had a huge white dressing which covered half my face & looked some kind of weird animal mask. It's getting better now, no dressing, just a red patch but it made me a bit miserable for a while and the doctor kindly informed me I'd probably get more as I'm relatively young.

On a happier note, we had our daughter Renee with a friend of hers from Austria and young son to stay on Friday as they had to fly out very early Sat. I met her when I was in Austria so it was nice to catch up again and we had a lovely dinner at Roleys on the Ridge. She also made us a beautiful traditional Austrian chocolate cake called Sacher Torte. Yum!
Posted by Picasa