Sunday, October 12, 2008

I'm back



I spent last week doing a wonderful & inspiring workshop at Fibres West in Bunbury. Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera, but here are some of the pieces I did. The workshop was Jane Dunnewold's 'Complex Cloth' & she is a great teacher. I can't wait to get into my studio to continue the work, but it will have to wait until I'm feeling better. I came down with a cold at the beginning of the week which made me feel miserable as well as losing my voice but I managed to get through the week's work somehow. Really bad timing though! It was quite an intensive week, lots of work and things organized for all the evenings as well. It was great to be able to concentrate solely on textiles & not have to cook or do housework and I met many interesting people. If I've passed my cold onto anyone else, I do apologise.

We started the workshop by dyeing our sample pieces then overdyeing (Procion dyes), we made tools - eraser printing blocks, stencils, flour paste screens - then experimented with various processes, some of which were new to me.
Next we had to put it all into practise by adding layers of images/techniques to our dyed fabrics . Probably the most valuable part was how to decide what to do next in order to create a cohesive piece of 'Complex Cloth'

The top piece has eraser block printing on silk in white & green. The squares have been cut from the fabric edges then bonded on with Misty Fuse. The borders are gold leafed, a fabulously rich looking process which I'd never tried before, but I love it!
Above: Rayon with eraser print using gel bleach on the blue dyed background. Then over printed with blue paint over circle masks. The orange wavy lines were added last. This & the pic below don't look as clear as they should here, not sure why. You can get a better view by clicking on the photo.

Above: cotton with 2 different eraser print blocks done in green and blue paint then silkscreened with the diamond motif.

Above: a few experimental pieces using gel bleach, stencils, monoprinting, gold foil & gold leaf. the middle, dark piece is bleach stencilled and block printed on black velveteen, a yummy result.

Jane has an interesting blog too where she has posted some photos from the week.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Doreen G said...

Lovely work Linda--lucky you doing a workshop with Jane .

Sandy said...

That must have been a great workshop. Your samples are nice.

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful samples. Looking forward to seeing how you'll use them in your work.
Lucky you!

Shirley said...

Hi Linda, These are great samples. The work you girls did with Jane was so inspiring. Glad you are feeling better,and I didn't get your cold:)
It was an amazing week and it was lovely to have been your (party) house mate.
Cheers
Shirley

Genie said...

Looks like you had a fun week.
love the sample colours,
Hope your cold is better

Judy said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I love the textures in the first two pieces.