Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cloque Pieces
These are some experimental bits I've cloqued. They're synthetic fabrics stitched onto a muslin backing then shrunk in a strong caustic bath causing the upper fabric (which
doesn't shrink) to crinkle up.
The top 2 samples have circular pieces which I intend to cut out and apply to a project I'm planning. The others are all transfer dyed, the middle one is a satin ribbon The lower left flower shape was cut out of the blue fabric with a soldering iron and I've bonded the pink fabric under it. The lower right sample is kunin felt which I wanted to try to see if it would work.

The bottom photo is a closeup of the flower piece. I also made a brooch yesterday that I was quite pleased with but the photo I took was no good.
Posted by Picasa

Friday, October 12, 2007

Book Cover
Finished this today, although I already had the fabric made. As you can probubly see it's just lots of scrappy bits layered under organza. The circular design is machine embroidered onto silk paper and some free machining and beads added. There's also another design on the back.
Here in Perth, Artopia is on and there are lots of exhibitions happening. Yesterday spent the day in Melville where over 32 textile artists have set up their studios in the main hall. In the evening there was a wearable art parade, absolutely fabulous! This event finishes tommorrow, well worth a look if you're in Perth.
Posted by Picasa

Friday, October 05, 2007

I've been playing with Picasa to manipulate and post photos. The one below is a collage of 2 of my broome photos. I found out how to do it on the new Quiltwow taster. It's fun to do and although I'm not totally happy with this result, will definitely continue exploring.
The next one down is a piece of cloque. I like the colours but not in the photo so this is a tint with most of the colour removed.

This week I've been finishing my Module 2 unit of Dale's online Playways course. I'm just about there, just have to assemble all the bits and label them. She won't believe it, I think it's been at least 3 years since I started. For me (last minute Linda) it would be better to have a deadline, then I would have finished ages ago.
Also had to make some silk paper for our 84 Group meeting on Sunday and spent lots of time looking for the instructions as it's been a while since I made some. Eventually had to look up the Treetops website. Jennie is showing us some different ways of using it.
Posted by Picasa
Posted by Picasa